Sunday 10 January 2010

Snow, snow, snow

Over the last fortnight, I have been considering that snow is the environment’s answer to beer: its influence reveals elements of truth about people’s characters. In my functional, rent-paying jobs (in a newspaper and pub) I have experienced people gassing on about cancelled bus services (would you drive eighteen tons of living beings and metal over black ice?), and overheard people who appear to do little but drink complaining about ‘lazy’ gritters not gritting the pavements. This irks me.

You shovel grit onto the pavements, then.’
‘I can’t.’
‘Well, why not?’
‘I’m drinking. And I might scratch my car.’

I have spoken to parents in throes of disappointment because they have to play in the snow with their children, instead of dropping them into school. Never mind the memories you’ll take from making that effort with them… I have spoken to people complaining about the lack of grit on the pavements, and I have (genuinely) heard the same people complain about the grit being trodden in to their carpet, when the pavements are gritted.

I have come across stories of panic-buying. In local shops, milk currently comes at a premium, as people buy more than they need, whilst suppliers deliver less than normal in such extreme weather. In Waitrose, there are reports of silly people panic-buying herbs.

It pleases me to be able to tell you, then, that none of these complaints (so far as I can tell) have come from my lips. Snow can be inconvenient, yes. It is an issue to have clumps of snow in your hallway as you step into your house, yes. I cannot remember ever feeling colder, no. But surely – surely – a little bit of snow once or twice a year is worth appreciating for the fun to be had, and the glistening beauty it provides? I have had a fine time indulging in late-night snowball fights with UEA students, and building snow-women with my girlfriend. It is never necessary to sit there, moan and slowly allow yourself to cease functioning when it snows, just so that you have something new to moan about. If you want to enjoy snowy weather, there are countless ways to do so.

Photography is just one of them:

www.ryanwattsphotos.com

No comments:

Post a Comment