Tuesday 12 January 2010

Hopeful New Year...

Well, my dears, it’s fair to say that 2009 was quite a year, and will take some beating. As the early days of 2010 rattle by, my intentions have a sense of focus that was wholly lacking twelve months ago.

Events photography is quickly becoming a field of immense enjoyment for me. In recent months I have photographed a host of bands, both local and internationally renowned artists, and even received some kind praise from artists, bands and even their record labels. I am becoming adept at capturing moments from long practise in this respect; in recognition of this, various companies have commissioned me to photograph their own events in the past few months, including the Norfolk Network, Norwich Cathedral and Hethel Engineering Centre, while my voluntary work with the Green Party has helped to cement me as their regular events photographer. In return for this, they will soon be displaying prints of mine for sale in their shop in the centre of Norwich. All very kind. Now go and buy one.

Alongside this success, you might remember that last summer I photographed various acts performing at the Norfolk and Norwich Festival. This year I am angling to actually work for the Festival; I shall keep you posted. Some of the successful images from last summer’s flurry of activity remain favourites of mine, displayed proudly on my website.

Speaking of my website, all of the aforementioned successes encouraged me to overhaul it during the Christmas break; in addition to showcasing my photographs more effectively than its predecessor ever could, it now acts as a hub for my communications, providing easy access to this blog and also to my Twitter feed (which carries just the occasional moment of insight, in amongst the commentary on darts tournaments!) The site also represents a statement of intent – a glitzy and good-looking new medium (so I have been told) requires a special effort to provide glitzy and good-looking new photographs to occupy its space! I am working as hard as I can to keep them flowing – in the meantime, do take a couple of moments to amble around the website and flick through the images, lovingly displayed in high quality against a delightfully unintrusive background, for a change (strictly during your lunch break, please, I don’t want you fired – do I?).

As for the rest of this year, my aims are to take on further events photography, working towards taking the career path on full-time, and also to begin working in the field of commercial photography; to gain as much experience as I can in this respect, I am currently looking to join forces with creative folk across Norfolk to help portray their work with a bit of the old Watts panache. If you have a friend, or know a friend of a friend, or a friend of a friend’s dog’s friend’s owner, who could benefit from a spot of co-operation, give them my email address or phone number – easily found on my website homepage. I’d love to help, and I can come very cheaply as required.

Wishing you all the best for this year, then, strictly on condition that you return the favour,

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment